Sunday, January 17, 2010

Where Have We Been?

It's been so long since I've posted anything, it's definitely time for an update. The big news around these parts is the addition of Farmer Oscar to our family. Oscar Moreno Lara was born on September 24, 2009 weighing in at 9 lb., 2.5 oz. and measuring 22 inches in length. And truth be told, I haven't done much of anything for the past 3 1/2 months except play with the little guy. Winter is definitely a good time for that.

Oscar at 12 weeks

We did process our turkeys on the farm right before Thanksgiving. With the help of a few friends we slaughtered, feathered, gutted, and packaged 16 turkeys over 2 days (there was a bit of a learning curve as it was our first real adventure in poultry processing). Most of our birds were smaller heritage breeds but we did have a couple standard white birds weighing in at 24 and 30 lbs which we kept for our own Thanksgiving dinner. Delicious is an understatement. Raising our own meat was a rewarding experience in all senses except the monetary...it was our first time around and we could have potentially done better cost-wise; however I still don't think we could come close to breaking even for raising the turkeys without doubling what we charged per pound. Organic feed is an incredible expense. It may be a while into the future before we are able to raise turkeys for anyone other than ourselves again.


Gutting "Big Tom"

Mom, Joaquin, & Amber

Byron & Me


Oscar sleeping in the Moby Wrap during processing

Mom, Joaquin, Amber, & Alex


So what does the 2010 season hold for Above & Beyond? I can't answer that question just yet. We may need to continue our farming hiatus due to several constrictions including the economy and my special situation with meeting Oscar's nutritional needs. The farm will be back, just redefined and to be announced. Oh, and our laying hens say hello. We're rolling in the eggs! Feel free to contact me if you're interested in a dozen.

Happy Eating!

Jessica

5 comments:

  1. Oscar is adoreable! Lucky you to have fresh winter eggs. The turkeys look fantastic. We are looking forward to giving it a go ourselves. Does your mom do any farming? We'll be at the SSAWG conference this weekend and GA Organics in February. Hope to see you soon. Enjoy Oscar's important first year. We have a grandson on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes my mom farms. Last season was her first season but she loves it! We'll have to come visit your place one of these days. This year will be our first year out of the last 4 that we most likely won't be attending the GO conference :( I'm sure it will be great, like always. And congratulations on your grandson-to-be!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so impressed with you, Alex and Amber! I don't think I could kill and pluck a turkey, but I'll gladly eat it. I'm sure it was delicious! I can't wait until Peter harvests Stella for Easter dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about the cost factor. I keep hoping we are breaking even, but I admit I don't keep as close a track as I should. We are having good success with the hatching of our own, so if we can keep that going we might come out better. We'll do a few turkeys this year and some geese and ducks. We are also covered in eggs right now, but luckily have customers eager for them. Keep on playing with that cute little baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't keep exact records either, but I am sure we aren't breaking even. I would like to start charging $5/dozen (up from $4) but we've been charging $4 for so long that I don't know how to go about asking for more, especially in this economy. But come on, that's still under 50cents per egg, and where else can you find that much nutrition for 50 cents?! OR where else can you find soy free eggs?! Every way I look at it, we *should* be charging what the eggs are worth.

    I love all of your adventures in poultry, you've got a good thing going there. We are on the verge of something good, potentially, to keep the "farm" going for this coming season but I will wait until it's official before I make that announcement...

    ReplyDelete