Monday, June 8, 2009

Irrigation

I spent hours upon hours last season in the fields of Cure alongside Donald (my co-intern), us both swearing off drip tape. Knowing that some better way MUST exist...somewhere? Well, I never found that better way but hey Donald, this here's for you: We laid the tape on every single row, no moving of lines. And no re-adjusting either -- we staked them down. Yes, we'll have to be extra careful to remove all the metal from the field before bringing the tractor back in (no, I wasn't proactive enough to spend this past winter widdling those wooden stakes we talked about).

So the drip tape I promised myself I'd never use on my farm is now irrigating our crops. My moral dilemmas with using the tape left me standing between a rock and a hard place. I've yet to devise a satisfactory alternative (if only rain worked the way it used to!). My main problem, aside from the fact that the drip tape will eventually end up in a landfill, is concerning water traveling through flimsy black plastic in the hot sun. Call me neurotic but this just doesn't seem to me like a healthy way to deliver water to the soil. Still, the other means of crop irrigation I'm aware of all present their own challenges. Namely, (a) finding a practical way around the PVC, (b) the need to use a LOT more water, and (c) watering the weeds the same as the crops. At the very least, drip tape has efficiency on its side. And let me tell you it feels like a god-send compared to our previous, almost laughable method of dragging an oscillating sprinkler attached to a green hose around every section of the field.

There was intense exhaustion mixed with a strong sense of accomplishment in the air around 4pm yesterday. We'd built a header pipe, drilled holes for the grommets and valves, and laid & staked 46 lines during the hottest part of a Georgia summer day...and on plants that were already well established to boot (this is a task that goes by much more quickly when dealing with new transplants). At the first sight of the water flowing through the lines my mom jokingly suggested we break out the champagne -- that summed up my sentiments exactly. Okay, there are still a few kinks to be worked out. Allan is working to fix the pressure so that the top of the field gets watered as well as the first lines in the system (luckily, he's a good trouble shooter). We're still awaiting electricity on the property so that we won't have to rely on a generator to power our well pump. But mostly I think we're all breathing a collective sigh of relief that watering the crops is no longer the extraneous measure it was up until 2 days ago.

Field view from yesterday morning before the tape was laid.

The addition of drip tape really gives the field a whole new feel.


On a harvest note, it's been so gratifying to see the first fruits come on many of the plants this past week. We also had our first small harvest yesterday - just basil and chard. We ended up with a few pounds of basil and several bunches of chard. Next week I expect we'll have summer squash ready to harvest as well, meaning we're about to be swimming in the stuff. Gotta get that farm stand up!

I'll leave you again with more of Joaquin's pictures. (How lucky we are to have our very own photojournalist documenting the farm's progress!)

Happy eating!
Jessica


First cherry tomatoes (Sun Golds, my very favorites!)

First melon (about the size of a golf ball)



First summer squash (yellow crookneck and green zucchini)

First Butternut Squash (about the size of a quarter)

Bring on the cauliflower

Speckled Amish Bibb lettuce

The tomato plants are really getting big!

6 comments:

  1. interesting....i just read about pvc in hoses today, or rather the lead in garden hoses. a warning from the clean pipe? or clean water? council saying to never drink from garden hoses and to wash your hands after touching...and not to put your kids in kiddie pools that are filled with the hoses. have i been in the dark all this while? geesh i didn't think it was really THAT bad. what does this mean for plants? or is it just traces and people are hypochondriacs???

    ReplyDelete
  2. They make these supposedly safe "FDA approved" hoses that you can find at most garden supply stores now. They're white and a more costly, not really feasible to buy for a large farm (unless, of course, you're Frog Belly). But Joaquin and I have been using them in our backyard for years. I'm sure there's *something* wrong with them too - who knows what they're leaching...

    Almost everyone waters their backyard and gardens with those green hoses. Plenty of chickens and other livestock receive their drinking water through them. It's bothered me for a long while.

    As for plants, the verdict is still out about what they absorb through the soil that we then eat. For example, a lot of farms use chicken manure to fertilize their crops, which can be high in arsenic due to the fact that broiler feed often contains a form of arsenic used to encourage a chicken's appetite (and fatten them up quickly). Well heavy metals don't EVER dissipate, and the arsenic has been found (in trace amounts, of course - but they quickly add up!) in crops, and organic means very little. At the last Georgia Organics conference I attended, one of the speakers mentioned studies being done in Florida using ferns to clean up soils (certain ferns are very efficient at absorbing certain metals from contaminated ground). Of course that still leaves the problem of what to do with the ferns (throw them in the landfill?).

    In regards to watering crops with PVC pipes and hoses, I don't personally know of any research that's being done to measure the effects. I doubt it would be encouraging if I did. Even if the plant doesn't absorb it, it's still leaching into the soil. Short of carrying all of your water to your crops in stainless steel buckets, I don't know an economically feasible way around the plastic! And most of us have the PVC piping carrying water to our homes, then we drink it, bathe in it...I'm doubting Brita filters are effective purifiers! And before that we had lead pipes. I could go on and on (and still not really know what I'm talking about).

    At the very least, if it weren't such a serious subject, it's a very interesting one. And definitely worth discussing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    My name is Lyann and found your blog through your SIL, Liana. We've been friends since high school. (Didn't know your husband though).
    I love what you are doing, and wish I could do the same. What I've been doing is buying organic veggies from a lady who converted her whole backyard into a garden. I tell you what-fresh is so much better than store bought produce that traveled 100 miles, and has been sitting in the store for weeks.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Lyann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica,

    Just letting you know that the first harvest vegetables were super tasty and a huge success at Casa Exarcos! We got home yesterday from the farm and I used the squash and zuchinni in a pan with olive oil and salt/pepper. Then I added some Kale in there and mixed it all up. I love Kale!!! It is really super tasty. On the side I used the cucumbers to make Tsaziki - again it was awesome. I have to say all the vegetables we brought back are perfect! We just got done with dinner tonight - Alexandra made Ratatouille with the yellow squash, zuchini, and basil! So I wanted to let you know how much we are enjoying everything!

    Also in case we didn't mention it, we had lots of fun yesterday and look forward to coming back out again soon!

    Big Hugs,

    Byron & Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lyann, welcome! I love the idea of converting lawns into edible landscapes - it's becoming quite the movement these days, thanks in part to books like Food Not Lawns. Boulder had quite a few converts, a lot of them organized by a guy name Kipp Nash who puts in the labor and then takes the harvests to the boulder Farmers' Market under the name Community Roots. (www.communityrootsboulder.com)
    ----------
    Byron & Alex, you guys are awesome! I'm so impressed that you seem to have used mostly everything we harvested. And I'm thrilled that you like the kale. Thanks for all your help. I'm about to try to motivate to write a blog about our Sunday now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am happy you have opened you mine for a new technology. it will improve your crops and save you money (for the water spending). hope you will be satisfied.

    ReplyDelete